May 3, 2009

Hispanic vs. Latino: What’s in a Name

I’m old enough to remember (just barely) that the term Hispanic was first used as a Census category in 1970.  Before that we were mostly “Spanish” or “Latins”.  If you were a little “hip” (yes, that was the term back then) you might call yourself Latino.  If you were more on the radical side (a lot of people were in the 70s, not just us) then you might have been “Chicano”.  (For those of you born after 1980, there was a big Chicano Power movement in the 60s and 70s and we had Brown Beret’s lined up to protest educational inequality and it was all very exciting and scary and important.  You should read about it, but not here. I digress.). 

I remember asking my grandfather about what we were, listing the options.  He got very upset that I didn't know, saying, “Mijo, my parents were from Matehuala.  They’re Mexicanos.  I was born here in Texas, in America.  So I’m Mexican-American and you’re Mexican-American.  We’re not His-panic, or Her-panic or anybody’s panic.   Grandpa Ramón was passionate, I’ll say that. The point is, for as long as I remember we've been called a lot of things.  (And I’m not even mentioning the negative labels.)

Today, the two labels heard most often are Hispanic and Latino.  Technically there is a difference in that Latinos are people from countries IN Latin America, which doesn't include Europe so Spaniards are out.  And, Hispanics are people from countries where Spanish is the primary language so Brazilians are out.  Recent studies have shown that both terms are now equally accepted among most with an opinion; and, a majority of the Gen Ñs are just fine with being just “American”, even though they’re still proud of their culture and heritage.  For them, it’s not about labels.  

So, for the most part I don’t think people really care much anymore whether you use Hispanic or Latino, unless you’re from Spain or Brazil or maybe an academic.   What’s important is that whichever you use, you are consistent, especially within a business situation.  (I’m not, but I’m trying to make a point.)  Whatever you choose, stick with it.  It’s not what you say that really matters.  It’s what you do that counts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment