May 10, 2009

In English or Spanish, Today is for Mamá!

In the US, we celebrate Mother's Day on the 2nd Sunday of May. In Mexico, and in many other Latin American countries, Mother's Day is always the 10th of May. If you are a florist, sell chocolate candy or work for a phone company, this is your BIG day. Being the good bicultural Pocho that I am, I try to commemorate both occasions and I'm usually pretty lucky to remember at least one. The good thing is that if I forget, I usually have another shot. Double up on the flowers and chocolates.
A lot of times, we focus on the things that divide us - Hispanics vs. Non-Hispanics, Mexicans vs. Cubans vs. Puerto Ricans, Democrats vs. Republicans, Dogs vs. Cats... whatever. On this, a rare occasion when U.S. Mother's Day and Mexican Mother's Day occurs on the same day, when phones are ringing and new bottles of perfume are spaying fresh scents of rose pedals and soft power across both sides of the Rio Grande, let me wish ALL Moms everywhere, especially my wife and my own Mom, a very Happy Mother's Day. Let us all celebrate one more thing we all share... we all came from Moms. Felicidades!

1 comment:

  1. Also here's another situation: Back in the day, we used to have only one mom. But now that We have two (the wife) or some people even 3 or more! it's getting harder to remember.
    Mother's day or 10 de mayo?
    Specially in my case that mom is still down in México and the mother of my kids is American.
    Should I call my mom on mother's day and should I say feliz 10 día de las madres to my american wife?
    At least, this year it wasn't a problem. Lucky me, they both were on the same day.

    MM

    ReplyDelete