May 9, 2009

Pocho Art Walks the Talk


One of the cool things about being PochoYProud today is that I know I'm not alone.  This PochoNation is not made of just one schizophrenic loco living in Austin, Texas.  And, every day I meet and hear from more and more people who believe.  
Not too long ago I got a very interesting e-mail from a fellow PochoNational living the life in Califa.  Hector "Ache" Casillas was born in South Central L.A. to Mexican parents and grew up in the San Gabriel Valley.  He told me of his own experiences growing up bilingual/bicultural and not always feeling like he fit in with either culture.  Many of his stories paralleled mine and, I'm sure, that of many others of us Pochos out there.  Through his "walking art", Ache expresses his POV on his own version of our Pocho culture.  His site, http://www.pochowear.com/ showcases his artistic designs via illustrations and on t-shirts for Pochos and Pochas.  I'm no art critic, but I think his stuff is pretty cool and definitely makes a statement that Pocho is IN!.  
Ache gave my own sense of cultural expression a boost when he wrote me to support my blog saying, "You write about what I paint.  Keep it up!"  I appreciate the support and vow to continue this blog, now con mas ganas!     

2 comments:

  1. You've got a great thing going here Ed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice shirt! I want one to celebrate my Pocho heritage...

    Orale!

    ReplyDelete